If you have a dog at home, it has probably begged for food at the table. While you would probably like to share your dinner with your pooch, not all people foods are good for canines. In fact, some people foods can cause serious health issues in dogs.
Here are a few foods you should never feed your dog.
While chocolate is a delicious snack for humans, it can be dangerous for dogs. It contains theobromine, a chemical that dogs can't metabolize. The darker the chocolate is, the more toxic it is for canines. Dogs who eat chocolate may experience vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, and even seizures.
Onions can certainly add great flavor to many dishes. However, you should make sure your dog never gets its paws on this food. Onions can result in red blood cell death in canines, which can cause anemia. Dogs who eat onions may experience weakness, vomiting, and breathing problems.
The next time you are snacking on grapes, make sure your dog does not get any. If your dog consumes large amounts of grapes, it can experience renal failure.
Although avocados are very good for humans, they are toxic to dogs. The fruit contains persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea. If your dog eats the pit, it can lead to blockages.
While your dog might love for you to share your bacon during breakfast, you should not do it. Bacon is high in fat, which can cause pancreatitis in canines. Bacon can also cause your dog to drink too much water, which can result in bloat. If you want to feed your dog meat, choose leaner cuts, like chicken and turkey.
6. Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nuts are quite tasty, but they are a no-no for dogs. These nuts are poisonous to dogs and can lead to increased body temperature, vomiting, lethargy, and nervous system problems. If you want to feed your dog nuts, try peanuts. Filled with healthy fast and protein, peanuts are considered good for dogs. Note that you shouldn't give your dog salted peanuts, as too much sodium is bad for canines.
As you can see, there are quite a few foods that dogs should not eat. If your dog, however, has eaten these foods, you should take it to the veterinary office as soon as possible. A veterinarian can determine the best course of treatment.